[macvoiceover] Re: Voiceover cursor.

  • From: carlene knight <cknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 14:54:58 -0700

It sounds to me like you have Quick Nav on which would cause the cursor to only
say words and not characters.  Simply press the left and right arrows at the
same time to turn QuikNav off.  As far as the cursor tracking goes, it depends
on what you are doing, however I usually have mine tracking each other in every
way you described.  Sometimes when editing documents in TextEdit for example,
you might want to unlink them, but for now, I wouldn't worry about it.

> As far as having the Voiceover commands on the screen, I'm not sure what you
> mean.  Are you in Voiceover help when this happens?  If so, simply press
> command+w to exit the menu.  If you are referring to the hints that
> Voiceover vocalizes after performing an action, you can go to the Voiceover
> menu with vo/f8 and turn hints off in the verbocity menu.  .  I hope all of
> this helps, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  These are quite valid, and
> that's what we're here for.

 Hope that helps and enjoy your parents' Mac.

On May 10, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Sue Morgan wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've been playing around with the VoiceOver settings, and when in Mail for
> example, using the left and right arrow keys is reading by word instead of
> letter in a new message.  Any idea if there's a default setting for VoiceOver
> as I'm not sure what I changed to make that happen.  also wondering if
> there's a way of getting rid of the VoiceOver commands on the screen as I
> don't need a sighted person to see them.
>
> I notice also that the VoiceOver cursor follows the mouse cursor and vice
> versa.  Should I leave them checked?
>
> Sorry to ask so many questions.  I currently use Windows with Jaws but my
> Parents have a Mac and it would be good for me to get around there machine
> with VoiceOver when I'm at their house.
>
> Sue.
> E-mail suejinglejungle@xxxxxxxxx
> Windows Live Messenger sue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx