[macvoiceover] Re: Upgrading Ram.

  • From: ashley <ash.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 09:14:29 +0000

it doesn't void it if you don't break it.
ash

Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk
Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ashleycox2
Blog160:
http://www.blog160.com

On 21/03/2011 06:43, Travis Siegel wrote:

On Mar 20, 2011, at 11:20 PM, Justin Mann wrote:

The one draw back to using a mac is that you just can't pop the thing open and plop a dim in to it.

Sure you can.
On the early macbooks (not the unibody ones) it's actually quite easy, remove battery, remove 2 ror 3 screws, remove plastic cover, and poof, instant memory upgrade, a 5 minute job. On the other hand, I recently upgraded memory in my mac mini, and that wasn't so easy. <shrug> But, if your mac is under warantee, then you don't want to do anything yourself to upgrade the machine, because it voids the warantee. So, it's kind of a moot point until your machine is out of warantee, unless you really don't intend to bother with purchasing one. Overall, the warantee is a good idea, and it really is easier to let the techs do the upgrades. The only problem is, you gotta pay apple prices, which often times are 2-3 times the going market rate for parts such as memory and dvd drives, so it's entirely up to you. Can you upgrade your own macs, yes, you can, but I'd wait until the warantee expires before performing any upgrades of your own, since apple really frowns on that kind of behavior.

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover