[macvoiceover] Re: Upgrading Ram.

  • From: ashley <ash.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:35:31 +0000

I can see what your saing; form my experience the mac mini isn't the easiest, i own one myself and have done both ram and HDD. The unibody macbooks aren't that hard though.

ash

Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk
Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/ashleycox2
Blog160:
http://www.blog160.com

On 21/03/2011 15:02, Travis Siegel wrote:

On Mar 21, 2011, at 4:12 AM, ashley wrote:

The only ones I would say it's hard to do is the macbook pro and the air. The mac mini's bottom comes right off with 1 turn, the macbook has 6 screws on the bottom, the mac pro has the latch-on door, and the iMac, I think, has a small compartment somewhere.
You're talking about all the latest models.
I just recently did an upgrade of an intel minimac, one of the original intel minimacs, and I can tell you, it's not as simple as removing some screws, and getting at the memory. This particular model had to be opened with a putty knife, dvd drive removed, airport antenna removed, entire drive bay holding hd and dvd removed, then you could get to the memory at the bottom of the case. It was *not* fun. Easy enough to do now that I've had to reopen the case several times, due to needing to reconnect cables, and reinstall a new interconnect board, but trust me, not something your average computer user would want to do. I've been working on computers since 1988 or so, and this was one of the least fun upgrades I've done. Of course, now that I know how it's done, next time will be considerably easier, but still nothing ZI'd recomend anyone except a complete techy even attempt. The macbooks on the other hand are simple enough (again, not the unibody ones, but the ones before that, mine is a 2008 (or there abouts) model, and it is as I described earlier, remove battery, remove 2 or three screws, and poof, memory and hd are upgradable just by pulling a tab or lever. That's the way it should be, not all this disassemble 3 hundred things just to get at the one single piece you need.

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover