[macvoiceover] Re: Trouble reading PDF files with VO

  • From: patrickneazer <patrickneazer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:08:12 -0400

Hello David and all:

Yes, there is a search edit field as normal. Though like I said I do not have the specific document in front of me.

However, some PDF documents do have a field that seems to do nothing ... like my camera user's manual. If you enter a page number ... poof.

I have no idea why that works though in some PDF documents it does.

This may not apply to this document just FYI for future PDFs (grin). Something tells me Russell will be reading plenty of those in the very very very near future (grin)
On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:56 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

hmm, thought it was a search field <wink>

at any rate, tab is deffinitely bad news as is stated here. the vo keys are your best friend in preview.

On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:52 PM, patrickneazer wrote:

Hello Russell and all:

To answer your last question first, when you get to the end of a page use command right arrow to go forward and command left arrow to go back a page.

Now, for a controversial suggestion (grin).

While working with PDFs and preview, stay away from the tab key (wink). OK, all defenders of the tab key may now descend upon me (grin).

Try using your Vo + arrow keys.

So, for example, if you find a page and read it, use command right arrow to turn the page. If when you start reading it you find that you are hearing the previous page again, perform a vo keys left arrow to move off the page and then a vo keys right arrow to move back onto the page and try reading again.

And, while I do not have that particular pdf in front of me, there may be an edit field which seems to have no purpose (wink). If you find one, enter the page number you want and press enter. It just might take you to that page (grin).

On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:20 PM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to read the VO Getting Started manual in PDF format. I don't want to read the document from start to finish, but rather, to go to pages that are relevant to what I'm doing at the time. So, I look at the table of contents, find the page I want to go to, press command option G and then type in the page number and press return. I then find it difficult to locate the document. Sometimes I VO right or left arrow and sometimes magically land in the document on the page I chose, but other times I'm placed in the document, but at the beginning. Sometimes I need to tab or shift tab to find the text of the document.

When I do find the page I want, I read for a bit and then it gets to the end of the page, and I can't figure out how to move to the next page, so I end up back in the table of contents. Does anyone have any tips to make reading PDF files a bit easier?

Thanks,

Russell

Take good care and I wish you enough.

Love