[macvoiceover] Re: The iPhone and accessibility, good stuff!

  • From: Josh de Lioncourt <overlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:58:25 -0700

David,

Um, there are 2 separate pages on Apple site with info. Clearly, you are looking at Apple's accessibility page and not the other, more detailed one, which is where Mark's info came from. Yes, that page does talk about VoiceOver not being compatible with all third-party applications, and to prove it, here is the link to the page.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#accessibility.iphone3gs-accessibility-features

It also says on that page that Zoom and VO do not work together.

On Jun 14, 2009, at 7:46 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

Josh, I posted the ifno from the apple page several days ago. there are several glaring differences in the info he posted formatting and strange characters not with standing.

1> he says that non native apps do not work with voice over. apple did not say this.apple said: "VoiceOver works with all of the built- in applications that come with iPhone 3G S, such as Phone, iPod, iTunes, Mail, Safari, and Maps. So, you can place and receive calls, surf the web, text and email your friends, check your stocks and the weather, and much, much more. Apple is also working with iPhone software developers so they can make their applications VoiceOver compatible. " 2> apples says no where that vo does not work with zoom. here is aht they have to day about zoom and I cnecked in two places and got the same text: "While many iPhone applications let you zoom in and out specific elements such as images in Mail, or webpage columns in Safari, Zoom lets you magnify the entire screen of any application you’re using to help you see what’s on the display. Zoom can be enabled on iPhone 3G S using iTunes when you’re setting up iPhone, for yourself or someone else, or later, using the Accessibility menu in the Settings application on iPhone."

On Jun 14, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

David,

Not to belabor the point, but the quality of the info isn't Mark's doing. This was taken straight from the Apple site. He also offers the info in several other formats, if you don't like the text, though the return characters are easy enough to get rid of with a quick find and replace. I will describe that process below for anyone who may want to remove them for easier reading.

It's clear that both Apple and Mark have put some effort into it, and I just don't see the point in slamming them for trying to help spread the word about Apple accessibility efforts. :)

To fix the "Return" character issue...

1. In the document, navigate to the end of a line and use Shift-Left or Right arrow to select the "Return" and "Newline" characters, which the Mac will usually treat as a single entity when selecting. Press Command-C to copy.

2. Press Command-F to open the Find and Replace dialog.

3. In the Find field, paste the clipboard in with Command-V

4. Move to the Replace field and and press Option-Return. This will allow you to enter a standard newline into the field.

5. Move to the "REplace All" button and VO-Space, or activate it however you like.

Voila! No more returns.

On Jun 14, 2009, at 7:02 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

this document is trash. it has strange characters all the way through it, lots of repetition and a really bad tone. your cup is half ful not half empty. if you can't say something nice, don't say anything and for criminy, write well. this was probably written in word and converted to text.

Oh, I know mark is trying to be helpful as he usually is but the official documentation will leave no doubts.

On Jun 14, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

David,

The document Keith attached was copied fom a section on Apple's 3G S page, presented in a convenient format. Personally, I'm trying to read as much as I can before the 19th so that I'm prepared when my phone arrives. Spreading of the publicly available information to those who may be interested is a good thing, and can only help others.

Just my two cents. :)

On Jun 14, 2009, at 6:19 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

Keith,

The official documentation comes out on the 19th and it won't have "return" all over it. this mark guy is a bit out to lunch.

On Jun 14, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi folks,

This was written by a friend of mine, its really good.

Keith Reedy
<1-iPhoneAccessibilityInstructions.txt>