[macvoiceover] Re: Telephone Prompts with VoiceOver and an iPhone

  • From: Marcy Weinberg <rhymingmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 21:36:50 -0400

Hi, David,
What is a red screen command?  Marcy
On Aug 5, 2009, at 11:52 PM, David Chittenden wrote:

Hello,

I do not yet have an iPhone.

What people have reported on a few lists is that the Voice Over volume is always turned down when you make a call. So, there are a few work- arounds which have been offered.

1) Once you connect, perform a read screen command to get VO talking and then press volume up to turn VO up for the current call. Note: you need to be using the speaker phone or a headset for this to work as the touchscreen is disabled when the iPhone is at your ear.

2) If you know beforehand the series of numbers which you will need to enter, you can create a contact for it and place pauses so that the number is dialed, pause, access code, pause, etc. occurs when you call in. Hopefully, Apple will allow the user to set the default volume for VO during a call in an upcoming update. If you send Apple Accessibility an email about this, it will let them know that this is a concern for you. The more emails about certain features they receive, the more they will know how to prioritize.

David Chittenden, MS, CRC, MRCAA

Marquette, Ed wrote:

Now, I've been a member of the list for half an hour, and I already feel at home. I've already seen several messages from persons whose names I recognize from other lists. I've been a MobileSpeak Pocket user, but am in my first 10 days of an evaluation period for the iPhone.
Everything works remarkably well, and I've been pleasantly surprised.
I've really had only one problem, but it is a pretty serious one.
Conference calls!
To call in on a conference bridge, one needs first to dial the number. That's no problem.
Then, however, one has to enter a series of numbers as a pass code.
VoiceOver seems to go silent once the phone connects to the automated voice in the conference bridge facility. VoiceOver is still out there because a two-fingered double-tap terminates the call; however, with no voice during the call, it is impossible to press the right numbers to enter the pass code. This seems like such an obvious issue that there should be a solution; however, I've read the on-line manual, using Safari (which I love), and I've discovered nothing.
We lawyers use conference bridges lots.  So this is quite important.
Thanks for any suggestions or hints.

Ed Marquette
Partner
Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP
Direct: 816.460.2405
Mobile: 816-812-0088
Office: 816.460.2400
Fax: 816.531.7545
emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Assistant: Andrea Mendez-Black [816-460-2483]
www.sonnenschein.com

4520 Main Street
Suite 1100
Kansas City, MO 64111-7700

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e- mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e- mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE:
To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending any transaction or matter addressed herein to another party.

Wordy Mom
Think positive,
...be positive,
...your cup is always half full.