[macvoiceover] Re: Table Navigation

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 13:24:52 -0400

Good afternoon,

You bring up two issues here that I'd like to comment upon.

1. Any user interface interprets information for a user through the interface designers choices, a screen-reader is no different than a graphical interface in this respect, however, the specific interpretations may differ.

2. I can understand your frustration with VOs pronunciation of words. I find VO to have a very nice to listen to and responsive voice, but there certainly are pronunciation problems that I don't notice with Eloquence for instance.

As much as I appreciate Apple for putting a screen-reader that works as well as VO into their operating system I am a little frustrated with their seeming lack of initiative to strive for excellence. The problem that I notice here is that VO is good enough to use and be frustrated with, not quite good enough to win me over completely, and to good for anyone else to try to create a competitive product.

Thanks,
Everett

On 2-Feb-09, at 1:16 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

On Feb 2, 2009, at 9:33 AM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

Like it or not a screen-reader is an alternate interface, why not take advantage of it?

I think you miss the point of your own comment here.
A screen reader is an alternate interface, not an alternate operating system. Thus, the screen reader should do what the original interface does, (differently certainly), and if necessary it should provide methods to hook to those things we can't access any other way either because the initial interface hard coded them, or because they're not practical to implement in the same way, but that should have no bearing on it's functionality, a screen reader enables a visually impaired user to do everything a sighted person can do with the computer. If the screen reader wants to provide additional capabilities, then at that point, it's no longer just a screen reader it then becomes an entirely new access method. I can't stress enough what I have said repeatedly both here and to apple directly. The screen reader's job is to read the screen, it's the user's job to interpret what the screen reader is reading. There's entirely too many cases in voice over where it tries to do too much for the user, and screws things up for the unweary user, or even flat out speaks things wrong because it can't tell which one of several alternative things it should do. If I wanted something to interpret my screen contents, I'd have a sighted person tell me what's on the screen, that would be much faster, and they'd skip everything they thought I didn't want to know. If I want to know what's on the screen, (everything on the screen) then a screen reader is the only option, but it's extremely frustrating to have the screen reader doing things I didn't tell it to do, just because the designers think they know better what i want than I do. This is my biggest complaint with windows, it becomes nearly unusable once you reace a particular technical proficiency because it's always assuming you want to do this or that when really what you want is to do this other thing. Sure, you can make it do this other thing, but it takes 25 extra steps to make it happen.
I don't want voiceover to turn into another windows application.
Stick to reading the screen, and leave the interpreting to me.

As stated before, I can't count the number of times I've lost work time trying to figure out what was wrong with source code, or why a particular file didn't exist when I tried to open it in a custom app, because vo pronounced something wrong. (I.E. carroll for some silly reason gets pronounced carrolton.
What's the sense in that?
There's litterally hundreds of these kinds of little details in vo that piss me off to no end, and my constant complaints to apple about such things are largely shrugged off, it seems apple is going to stick to their interpreting for you regardless of what you want, and I for one am getting rather tired of it. The rest of the system is perfectly usable, and I love my mac, don't get me wrong, but everyone has their breaking point, and if the next few releases of osx don't fix some of these issues, Im leaving and going back to linux, there's no sense beating your head against a brick wall. Wasting 10-20 minutes trying to figure out why a piece of code isn't working because voiceover interprets something and says it wrong isn't my idea of a good time. Sure, I could go over my source, character-by-character, but that would take even longer. A person has to be able to depend on their screen reader to give them the information they need, and if vo continues telling me what it thinks I want to hear, instead of what's actually there, it's going to cause me even more lost productivity, and I'm not willing to accept that performance hit.