[macvoiceover] Re: Table Navigation

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:37:49 -0400

Good morning David,

Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder why webkit doesn't expose html tables like that. I suppose it is because some determination would need to be made about which tables are presentational and which are data tables.

Sadly there is no contract that can be trusted between content author and assistive technology, and there never will be, as long as anyone and their dog can author web content we will always need to guess at exactly what they are trying to do.

Everett
On 2-Feb-09, at 11:23 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

here's some interesting reading out of vo help. It doesn't work in safari but possibly hints at things to come:
■
■
■
■
■
■
Working in tables and outlines
Depending on the application, you may hear “table” or “outline” to describe a text area. You can move through either of these areas by row and column. You must press VO-Shift-Down
Arrow to interact with them.
Here are ways to work in tables and outlines:
To hear the contents of a table row from the location of the VoiceOver cursor to
the end of the row, press VO-R.
To hear the contents of a table column from the location of the VoiceOver cursor
to the bottom of the column, press VO-H.
To hear the header of a column in a table, press VO-Shift-H.
To sort the column, position the VoiceOver cursor on the column heading and
press VO-vertical line (|).
To move up or down in a column, press the Up or Down arrow.
To move to the parent row of the current column in an outline, press VO-
Command-backslash (\).
You can use the same text commands you would use for documents to read text in a table
or outline.
On Feb 2, 2009, at 9:45 AM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

Good morning,

Are there voiceover table navigation commands comparable to the Alt + Control + Arrow keys in JAWS and if so is there a way to get them to work on a web page in Webkit?

Thanks,
Everett