[macvoiceover] Re: Strange VO behavior in menus with items having sub-menus

  • From: Blake Sinnett <frequency660@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:12:27 -0500

I'm having this issue also. I wonder if it has something to do with a cursor
tracking setting in the VoiceOver utility.

From: ganahee@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [macvoiceover] Strange VO behavior in menus with items having sub-menus
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 23:16:40 -0500
To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,

Got the new kitty installed on Friday, late in the afternoon.  All seemed to go
well, but I've encountered a strange problem when I access menus using VO.

I opted for doing the upgrade, rather than the clean install, figuring
everything should function normally.  Prior to upgrading, I did do a
permissions repair, and my most up-to-date version of Leopard was 10.5.8.

When I'm in the Apple menu, for example, I can use VO-Up/Down to arrow through
the menu and all is well.  When I reach "Dock", which has a sub-menu, VO says,
"Dock Dock, sub-menu, 6 items".  Continuing to use VO-Up/Down simply gets me
"Dock Dock, sub-menu, 6 items".  It appears that I'm stuck on that menu item.
Now, if I simply use the arrow keys, without the VO keys, I can actually
navigate the sub-menu of the Dock menu item under the Apple menu.  If I
Left-arrow, I hear nothing but if I VO-arrow up or down, it appears that I'm
back at the top of the menu.  If I bring up the Apple menu, using VO, then
simply use the arrow keys, all things seem to work fine.

This behavior seems to be present in all menus - application, contextual, etc,
where there are menu items which have sub-menus.  It appears that I even seem
to have this problem with the popup menus in the VO utility, and I'm sure it
happens in other places.

Did a clean install of SL on a small drive I have, and all things seem to
function normally - this only seems to happen on my MacBook, and also on my
friend's Mac Mini - we both use our computers completely differently but we
must have something in common which is causing the issues I've described.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc?  Any help will be greatly
appreciated!

If necessary, please feel free to contact me, off-list.

Take care,

Ron J.

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

Check out my blog at: http://ganahee.wordpress.com/

Messenger Services:

AIM: Ganahee
MSN: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: Ganahee
Twitter: Ganahee_SD
Yahoo!: Ganahee

Alternate Contact:

E-Mail: Ganahee@xxxxxxxxx

Phone, Home: 605-425-3270
Phone, Cell: 605-759-0694

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals.  Then something
happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".