[macvoiceover] Safari 4/iTunes Interaction?

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:53:21 -0400

Hi,

I got Safari 4 installed finally (thanks to all of you helped, it turned out that I didn't realize that I had started the download a couple of times and ended up with four copies of the installer <blush>). I haven't had much time to play around with the new browser but have noticed some changes regarding what I think must be its relationship with iTunes.

I was in iTunes and navigated over to the iPod settings scroll area, interacted with it, chose Music and went to the list of playlists to add and remove some items from the iPod. This control had always previsouly had problems scrolling properly. It is the only place where I have ever had to use the VO+SHIFT+S keystroke to start scrolling - a seriously suboptimal feature as it scrolls but doesn't say what has appeared on the screen. This time, though, it scrolled perfectly but the checkboxes seemed to change their status randomly.

I asked my lovely sighted wife to take a look-see at my screen and tell me what was going on. She said that itunes Help was in front of everything and couldn't even guess why it was speaking the settings dialogue (she's been around screen readers enough to understand what I am hearing and why).

When we got rid of the help window, the playlist table started working as before (which sort of sucks) but I was able to change the content on my iPod and use it happily.

I saw a few other weirdnesses in the iTunes store but none that I can pin down tightly enough to describe with any real value.

Happy Hacking,
cdh