[macvoiceover] Refreshabraille and the Mac

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:38:43 -0600

Hi all.

Maybe there's a better list to which to send this and, in any case, offlist
replies are fine if it isn't good to have this on this list. The only braille
devices I have are aging braillelite 40s, which are still working but won't
work with the Mac. The only braille display I could even possibly afford right
now is the refreshabraille, and even at that, I could almost buy two Mac minis
with dual drives and 4gb of memory for that price - not that I need two mac
minis but you get my point. So I'd really like to know, from those who use both
braille and speech, if the braille really makes a difference for you since it
appears to use the same system as the speech rather than having its own
interface to the screen. I'd also like to know, especially from anybody using
the refreshabraille, whether it's going to be more frustrating than it's worth
only being able to access 18 cells at a time as I've been so used to 40 cells
on linux and Windows. Unfortunately thre's no place to go and try one out to
see what I think.

Thanks.

--
Cheryl