[macvoiceover] Questions about GarageBand

  • From: Michael Busboom <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:01:42 +0200

Greetings to all of you,

In the next couple of months, I will need to be doing a lot of sound editing.
While I am quite proficient with Sound Forge running under Windows, I want to
continue migrating more and more tasks to the Mac.  So here are some questions,
and thanks so much in advance for any and all feedback.

1.  I will be recording all of the presentations for a conference of the
European Blind Union which will take place here in Vienna from November 11-14.
Would GarageBand allow me to comfortably edit these large MP3 files that each
presentation will require?

2.  I may need to leave the recording equipment unattended for several hours at
a time, thus producing very large files.  Since I am a presenter, I won't
always be able to leave the main conference auditorium to turn off the
recording equipment after each presentation.  Will GarageBand let me split
larger files into smaller ones without introducing too much degradation in the
quality of the recordings?  I assume that this is possible, but I just want to
make sure.

3.  I am somewhat concerned about AC hum in the recordings.  Does GarageBand
have filtering tools which might help allay this concern?

4.  Since I am already somewhat familiar with sound-editng software, albeit the
Windows flavor, how steep a learning curve will there be before I can undertake
a project of this magnitude?

5.  Finally, where can one purchase GarageBand, and how much does it cost?

Thanks so much,

Mike