[macvoiceover] Probably OT and vent beware!!! What is RFB&D thinking?

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:45:14 -0600 (CST)

well, ok, I know what they are probably thinking: the easiest way for them to do DRM must have been Windows Media Player. But the whole thing is a major headache. Yes, you can now download RFB&D books. But forget playing them on your Mac or iPod or Victor Reader Stream for that matter. I thought they might work on my cell phone and who knows maybe they do, but I got an error when I tried to sync them with Windows Media player. Why couldn't they have just used a key like they do for their audio cds and like NLS does? I know the NLS setup doesn't prevent you from transfering to another NLS user's player but I think the RFB&D key does prevent transfering. At any rate, I'm very disappointed even though I can of course read the downloaded books on my Windows vmware fusion installation. I would have thought they could have found a way to be more inclusive rather than tying everything to Windows Media Player and Windows. even audible at least allows for playing their books on Mac computers and ipods, even if they don't let you activate devices without Windows. Very disappointing!!! If you are an RFB&D user, you might let them know how disappointed you are that they are tying their downloads totally to the Windows OS.

--
Cheryl