[macvoiceover] Re: PC brain can't compute: external hd again

  • From: Tim Grady <timfgrady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:25:58 -0500

Here is one thing to look for. Go into system preferences/speech and make sure speech recognition is turned off. When I installed leopard, the default was speech recognition on with the trigger key of the escape key. I noticed some problems like that.

On Nov 21, 2007, at 7:44 AM, V. L. Owens wrote:

OK, here's what is happening. I'm sure it's operator error, but I'm still ready to throw the hd or the mac out the window--and both are too expensive
to do so. <smile>

I have an hd full of music that I'd like to put on my mac. Here's what I do.

1.  Plug in the drive and find it in the finder.
2. attempt to view the folders, although I can't seem to find a way to keep focus on the folder name. It keeps jumping to various files and selecting them. I've tried list, column, and icon view. And if it's a document, it shows me the contents, which is nice, but I don't want to see them just now. 3. Finally, by some luck, I focus on the folder list long enough to hit the
item chooser and select the folder I want.
4. I hit command O, and then select all the contents. I try copying these with command c, and though vo says "copied 410 items," I'm not actually sure if they've been copied to the clipboard or to the external hd, because when
I try to pase them into itunes I get nothing.
5. So I open itunes and try something else. I select "add to library" or "import files." With both options, a dialogue appears that I can't read, so I guess what it might be asking me, but I haven't chosen the correct answers yet. <smile> I can tell that I need to choose the folder, but when I click on my computer, I can't seem to get in there to select the external hd.

Aside from itunes, I'd love to be able to copy files on to my mac for other purposes, and I'm sure it isn't as challenging as I seem to be making it. <smile> My pc brain just can't seem to figure out this one. Any help would
be killer.

Muchas gracias!
Ginny

On Nov 20, 2007, at 4:44 PM, V. L. Owens wrote:

Sure.  Will be happy to. I plan to spend several hours with it
tonight, so
I'll begin after that.  That OK?