[macvoiceover] Re: Office 2008

Apple has committed resources to improve the quality and accessibility issues with VoiceOver. It may take some time to fully implement certain aspects of the operation, but I am encouraged at the ever- increasing numbers here, for example, in alaska, of the number of visually-impaired users switching to the Mac, in light of proposed budget cuts through our Alaska state legislature. And now that the Alaska Center has finally realized they must add VoiceOver to their curriculum, the numbers will improve significantly. As for the availability of accessible thrd-party software such as MS Open Office, I cannot say, but Microsoft, if they want to keep their marketshare, will have to make some accessibility concessions, since right now, more blind and visually-impaired persons use their oproducts, although that is slowly changing. Richie Gardenhire, Anchorage, Alaska.

On Jan 23, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Laura wrote:

I tend to agree. Not really because I know anything about Coco, but because when they updated Office, Voiceover was already a fixture. I don't think I can be convinced that Microsoft didn't know about it when they updated, so either they knew it was inaccessible and didn't fix it, or they thought so little about it that they didn't even bother to check whether it was or not. Either way, there's culpability there, and their silence about the issue also speaks volumes, at least to me. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected, but I've never seen any explanation for it, or any reliable information that they're aware its a problem and are working to fix it, even if the fix won't come until the next release of the software.

I am still a little bit hopeful they'll add accessibility, though. There are more blind users switching to the Mac, even if the increase is slow, and unless Apple suddenly changes course, it seems to me that Voiceover will keep getting better. If that's correct, I'm not really sure that MS would continue to make a product that just doesn't work for us. I'd also like to think that, even if they don't embrace the Mac as a platform, at least a few of the organisations working on the half of blind people would start making some noise about it. They don't have to be a fan of the Mac platform to know that those of us who are should be allowed to use it without unnecessary barriers.

On 24 Jan 2010, at 01:41, John Panarese wrote:

That is entirely up to Microsoft. In reality, it should be, as it was rewritten in Coco. However, for whatever the reason, whether on purpose or not, the product is still inaccessible. This is, of course, a matter of opinion, but, to me, you have to go out of your way to make something inaccessible with Coco.

John D. Panarese
Managing Director
Technologies for the Visually Impaired, Inc.
9 Nolan Court
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Tel/Fax, (631) 724-4479
Email, tvii@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet, http://www.tvi-web.com

AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS FOR PORTSET SYSTEMS LTD, COMPSOLUTIONS VA, PREMIER ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES, INDEX, PAPENMEIER, REPRO-TRONICS, DUXBURY, SEROTEK AND OTHER PRODUCTS FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Jan 23, 2010, at 5:47 PM, Nicole Hutchins wrote:

Is there any chance that MS office would be accessible in the future that we know of?

On Jan 23, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Tim Grady wrote:

That should work better than pages or open office, although I would try to find Nisus Writer pro on sale.
On Jan 23, 2010, at 1:34 PM, Keith Reedy wrote:

John and all,

I recently switch to Nisus Writer Express a great little word processor.

Keith Reedy
On Jan 23, 2010, at 12:13 PM, John Panarese wrote:

I don't know much about templates, but I'd be curious to know if either Open Office or Pages will enable one to get around the need for MS 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if either of those apps will do the job for you. I know they both will recognize and use a variety of formats and such.

Take Care

John D. Panarese
Managing Director
Technologies for the Visually Impaired, Inc.
9 Nolan Court
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Tel/Fax, (631) 724-4479
Email, tvii@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet, http://www.tvi-web.com

AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS FOR PORTSET SYSTEMS LTD, COMPSOLUTIONS VA, PREMIER ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES, INDEX, PAPENMEIER, REPRO- TRONICS, DUXBURY, SEROTEK AND OTHER PRODUCTS FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Jan 22, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Amanda wrote:

That's a shame. I need to use Microsoft office as I need to use Microsoft Templates for work.
On 23/01/2010, at 1:31 PM, Jeffrey Shockley wrote:

Hi,
I don't think MS Office is usable with VoiceOver, unless something has changed I didn't know about. But, so far, MS Office hasn't been usable for us VO users on the Mac, but that's OK since there are alternatives for MS Office products.
HTH,
Jeffrey
----- Original Message ----- From: "Amanda" <pebbles11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >