[macvoiceover] Re: New User

Ah, I see the problem now. Bluetooth headphones at present do not work well, especially if the a2dp protocol is used. This is a bug in the operating system. What essentially happens is that, as soon as you pair them, the headphones become the default audio device. However, a2dp connections are unreliable to the point of being practically useless in OS X. A powersaving feature has some unintended consequences--the bluetooth adapter goes into standby after a few seconds of use. A2dp is not a tolerant protocol though and thus the connection is lost permanently, but the system is unaware of that and continues to try to output to a pair of no longer connected headphones. This is a bug both in the Mac operating system and in most a2dp headsets--the two bugs intersect. For now, I strongly recommend avoiding bluetooth headsets for your main audio device. You can use the headset protocol with skype and things like that, but avoid a2dp on the Mac. I've not yet found a way to override this bluetooth energy saving feature, if I ever do I'll let everyone know as that would prevent the problem. The other workaround is to have the audio device remain open constantly, this prevents the connection from being dropped. Basically, you pair the headset then open an audio player and start a stream playing, but keep it on mute. The channel remains open, and so does the connection. But for practical use this is still a pain. If anyone does have another way to resolve this please post it, but for now you're best off using a USB or a straight analog headset.

On Nov 16, 2008, at 18:00, Garret wrote:

Thanks for the info, I'll spend some time going through these again.

It was command FN-key to start VoiceOver streight from the box, but discovering that only solved one problem.

Currently, the voice is cutting out directly after pairing with my bluetooth headphones, or when I scroll through menus with the arrows too rapidly.

Thanks for any and all assistance,
Garret
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx >
To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:31 PM
Subject: [macvoiceover] Re: New User

Can you explain what manual/user guide you are using? You can download the
voiceover getting started manual in several forms from

http://w3.wmcnet.org/daisymaker/books/vogs

I'm assuming you are probably using macosx 10.5 Leopard; if so be sure to download voiceover getting started for leopard as the geting started for 10.4 tiger is also there and is somewhat different from 10.5. There have also been some more voiceover enhancements since Leopard came out which
I'm sure people on this list can help you with as you go along.

Since you are using a laptop, I'm wondering if you somehow have it set such that you have to use cmd-fnkey-f5 to turn it on and off; I don't have a laptop but those who do may be able to advise you how to check this. Your use of a laptop may also explain some of your other failures to get commands to work; please post more specifically if you can and i'm sure
those using laptops will be happy to help you.

No, voiceover isn't junk but it is quite different from Jaws and windows so be patient and ask specifically forhelp; remember that you didn't learn
windows without some time and effort either so don't get discouraged.

Hth.

--
Cheryl

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at http://www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover