[macvoiceover] Re: Navigon

  • From: patrickneazer <patrickneazer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 15:23:21 -0400

Hello Chris and all:

Your feeling is actually correct. If you leave the navigon software and return to it the default is car. If however you walk to the supermarket and then decide to go to the post office and then decide that you want to stop off and pick up your prescription, the speed profile will remain engaged as long as one does not exit the software.

I cannot duplicate the disappearance of buttons that you site and not from lack of trying (smile).

There are a few things to keep in mind while using this software:

1. Switching speed profile does NOT change the information that one will see on the map. One will not see a different route if one enters car as opposed to pedestrian. It is a speed profile which informs the system how fast one is going. Cars travel at 50 MPH and humans do not unless they have invested in the Iron man flight pack (smile). So, to expect a different route base on the alteration of the speed profile is not a reasonable expectation to place upon the software. Not saying that you are placing unreasonable expectations upon the software. What I am saying is that on many occasions there has been some confusion that the pedestrian setting somehow offers different map information. If one wants to alter the routing information in some way then those settings after the speed profile will be helpful.

2. Most new user's of GPS whether they be blind, sighted, walking, running, or skipping struggle with the "I know how to get there syndrome." When I was first testing the software with a friend in his car he kept saying, "I would not go this way, I know how to go." While that may be true, that does not and did not invalidate the working of the software. Once I convinced him and later myself that in order to properly evaluate the software I had to let it tell me where to go, it worked out perfectly just about all the time. I had to adjust my willingness to evaluate the software for what it does rather than upon what I thought it should do. That came later.

Again, I am not making any accusations. I am relating the things which I had to overcome to judge a software product fairly. After I got myself out of the way I am happy to report that Navigon is a darn good tool in my arsenal of getting around. Hopefully it will prove such a thing to yourself and others. After all, you paid for the darn thing (grin).

Please continue to ask and report. We are all here to help.
On Aug 9, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

I had found most of the things you mentioned. I have the feeling that the pedestrian speed profile needs to be set every time one chooses a route either by entering an address or picking from the favorites list.

I still don't have any experience beyond walking up and down my own street and the miserable attempt to get to the Y this morning. I know I've more to learn but I also think the software has some very annoying bugs (the occasional disappearance of the "back" and "main menu" buttons). It is helpful but if they can do 3D maps, they can certainly make a text list of streets and turns.

cdh
On Aug 9, 2009, at 1:20 PM, patrickneazer wrote:

Hello Chris and all:

I will take a shot at answering your questions.

If you are asking are you able to see the turn by turn listing of the streets upon which you will travel to get to your destination like you see on the maps program, I believe the answer to that question is no. Most, though not all GPS systems run on the principle that you do not look at the map while traveling as much as someone who would look at a map and not necessarily use a GPS system. I am not saying the logic is agreeable or disagreeable ... that is just the thought behind it. So, for example, if I am traveling and the device tells me to make a left, I look at the lower corner of the screen (lower right hand corner to be precise) and know that is the street upon which to turn. Trusting yourself to the device it would seem (grin).

After you enter your complete address, there will be a done button which I am presuming you have found already (smile). double tapping on the done button presents you with the option to begin navigation. double tapping upon that will activate the navigation function of the app and will show your current location ... again ... located in the lower right hand corner. You should also see to the left of that the options button. If you double tap that button it will bring you into the list of options where you can make modifications to the settings such as whether or not you want to move by car, motorcycle, etc. pedestrian is under that list ... the speed profile list.

I hope that addresses some of what you were asking. If not, write again and both ask and chastise (smile).

Be well.
On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

Last night after listening to the Serotek podcast #20 which had a segment on the Navigon North American GPS tool, I purchased and let the AppStore install it for me. I've not gotten to the documentation as I fell asleep before trying it out so these questions may be an RTFM but, for now, if anyone has a little experience with the tool:

Can one get a list of the streets on the route like the list mode in the iPhone maps program? If so, how does one get to the screen where this is done? Once I build the destination address, I cannot seem to get back to a place where I might be able to set map options. A lot of the pages have a back button but I cannot seem to find it once I've entered the destination completely.

It does seem quite cool and its accuracy using the iPhone Location Services really rock.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

Take good care and I wish you enough.

Love