[macvoiceover] Re: Navigating the Web

  • From: Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:44:33 -0500

If you read the voiceover manual you will find commands to do all these things,
and if you don't like the default ones, you will find many ways to make new
ones more suitable for your needs. For now, vo command h navigates through
headers, VO command j through controls, vo command l through links, and there
are many others. Using the shift key along with all of these commands will go
the opposite direction.
As for your problem with deleting text, if you want your cursor to behave the
same way Windows screen readers made you believe it behaved, open the vo
utility with vo f8, go to the verbosity category, then to the text tab, and set
the popup button that says "when moving the cursor" to "speak text to the right
of the cursor". The default is "speak text the cursor passes", which I
personally prefer. The idea is that visually, the cursor is always in between
characters and not on the actual characters. So what windows screen readers do
is to always read what's to the right of the cursor. The way VO handles this by
default is to tell you what the cursor just passed, so if for example you read
the word boy starting from the left, after you get to letter y it will repeat
letter y when you start arrowing to the left, because you actually passed
through letter y again. I don't think this is a good way of explaining it and
I've seen people on this list explain it in much better ways, so hopefully
they'll help you out. I love this way of using the cursor because it seems
faster for me and I got used to it.

IC