[macvoiceover] Macintosh dtbook conversion utlities

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Technical Developments Discussion List <technical-developments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, General discussions on all topics relating to the use of Mac OS X by the blind <discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Discussion of Digital Talking Books <dtb-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>, acb-l@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:31:05 -0700

I have made some important improvement and additions to my Macintosh based dtbook conversion utilities. I have also made the beta version available for download. Here are the particulars:

Changed the process so that you now get CSS file and better transformation from TextEdit to dtbook The files will be placed in a directory of your choosing. The XML file will now pick up titles and authors from the Documents Properties window of TextEdit. (File>Show Properties)

Developed a version that works with Microsoft Word for Macintosh. Save your documents as WordML (XML) and run the utility. This version will handled various headings, bring over images and convert them and so on. It will produce a very complete dtbook file set. As with TextEdit this program will pick up Title, author and so on from the Properties setting of the document.

Both of these programs can be run as stand alone programs or as scripts attached to TextEdit or Microsoft Word.

A few bugs still to be worked out:
You should not use spaces in the path to or the name of the documents or the paths to where the dtbook files will be saved. I need to figure out how to deal with this.

Here are the URLs:

Dtbook for TextEdit http://w3.wmcnet.org/dtbmaker/dtbook/Dtbook.zip
MSWordDtbook for Microsoft Word for Macintosh
http://w3.wmcnet.org/dtbmaker/dtbook/MSWordDtbook.zip

Both of these are free and open source. they are AppleScript Applications and can be opened and edited with the Script Editor application.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022