[macvoiceover] Re: Mac equivalent programs was: RE: My Macintosh trial.

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:08:57 -0600

Here are my answer to those I know of.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Apr 22, 2008, at 7:11 PM, David Truong wrote:

Hi Again Everyone,

Here are the programs I absolutely love in Windows and hopefully there are equivalents for me on the Mac. If so, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Quickmix - a program to save your soundcard settings.
This is not needed the Mac has built in sound processor which is se up in the system preferences.

Soundforge and Studio Recorder - sound editors, (I know of Sound Studio and
Fusion).
MP3Tag Studio - a suite of mp3 tools and utilities to tag mp3 files.
iTunes has this function so does a program called Max

Mp3Gain - to keep consistent volume levels of mp3 files.
iTunes and Max can do this as well.

Winamp media player, (I know of MacAmp and VLC player which I love along
with of course IToons).
WinAmp is by its nature a windows program iTunes, MacAmp, VLC, QuickTime Player and a host of other applications can perform similar functions.

Recall Pro and Replay AV - sound recording software, (I know of Audio Hijack
which I've already bought).

CDEX or Easy CDDA Extractor - programs to rip cds, perform audio file
conversions and create audio cds etc.
Max and SimplyBurns will do this.

Nero burning Rom - to create data and audio cds / dvds.
the Mac has this built in. Some people prefer SimplyBurns to do this however.

DVD Audio Extractor - a program to rip audio from DVDS.
HandBreak will do this

AnyDVD - a program to aid in the removal of copyright protection on CDS and
DVDS.
HandBreak will do this as well

FTP Voyager or Cute FTP - ftp transfer programs, (I know about Transmit).
transmit or CyberDuck

Serv-U - FTP server.
The mac has a built in FTP server start and stop it from the sharing system preferences. I would suggest PureFTPd Manager if you have complex FTP management needs.

NoteTabPro and Boxer Text editor, (I know of text edit).
Xpad

WordWebPro - A dictionary and thesaurus program.
The Mac has built in Oxford English dictionary and thesaurus.

PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 - a disk partitioning program.
DiskUtility the built in disk management program will do this

Winzip - an archiving program.
This too is built into the MacOS

Openbook scanning program or K1000.
Perhaps the greatest need on a Mac is for a version of K1000 there is K3000 designed for dyslexics which can be used. it is expensive however IRISocr seem to work for some. I personally just use K1000 in a VMfusion PC system.

I have more programs I use such as mail programs etc but I think that's enough for now. Of course it goes without saying I'll be researching Mac equivalents of the above programs for myself but if any of you have programs
you love as I mentioned, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help on the above,

David Truong

EMail and Messenger:
davidtruong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Skype:  blindboxer1967