[macvoiceover] Iwork 9: First impression and a question

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:30:13 -0500

Hi everyone
I've just been playing around a bit with iWork 9 and over all, I'm extremely impressed. Pages and Keynote are both very easily accessed, my only gripe being that vo+t will reveal text attributes, but not alignment. Oh well, it's easy enough to work around that one by looking at the toolbar until that's fixed. Another small issue is that backspacing in pages is sometimes reporting "new line" instead of the character that was deleted. This only happens on occasion, usually on the first line of a document and to me is hardly a big deal. I am, however, having issues with Numbers. Arrowing around in the sheet doesn't seem to yield any output and if I interact with the table that displays the sheet and VO around, I can move. However, I can here the columns but not the number of rows. If I Vo+lef or right, for example, I'll hear "c, header cell" but if I arrow down or up in the column I just here "cell." Also, I don't seem to be able to input on the cell that VO is focused on, either by typing or pressing vo +space to focus on it. I can route the mouse to it and double-click to get the effect. Not having it read the cell row and column could get a bit inconvenient if I'm using formulas and need to know which cells to include in them. Further, double-clicking is useable but not as efficient, especially when I know for a fact that arrowing left and right is moving the cell highlight, it's just not speaking. On the flip side, however, I love the row header and column header announcement. If I put something in one of the row or column header cells, it is read as I move across that row or column instead of the letter, no need to move up to the header and verify I'm in the right column. I'm guessing this is to take the place of cell coordinates and for most cases it is actually a nice improvement, but is there a way to get the coordinates if I need them? Is this the normal behavior in Numbers or is my system acting up? And is their a shortcut to input to the current cell without having to route mouse and double-click? All cursor tracking settings are on except the mouse tracking, so focus should be moving with the VO cursor. I'll report this to Apple accessibility, but I wanted to know first if this is the normal behavior in Numbers. All in all, I'm quite impressed. I'll most certainly be buying it, pages and keynote alone would be worth it and Numbers isn't unuseable by any stretch.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams