[macvoiceover] Re: Iphone: entering numbers while on a call

  • From: "Richard Ring" <richard.ring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:12:31 -0500

We all have different ideas as to what we want and need a phone to do.
My feelings about the iPhone is that it amazing that it is accessible as
it is, and I am impressed with what it can do.  However, I don't think I
want one right now.  That is not a flame, it is an expression of an
opinion.
My friend Sarah had an amazing time moving her contacts from a Nokia
phone to the iPhone.  First she had to use a piece of software from
Nokia to sync her contacts with Windows.  Then she had to use iTunes to
sync them with her phone.  Then there are ring tones.  My friend likes
to create her own ring tones.  Apple has a proprietary file format that
ring tones must have.  So, her ring tones had to first be converted, and
then synced with iTunes.  Now, the interesting thing about this is, that
any ring tones that she had whose length exceeded 30 seconds were not
allowed by iTunes.  Again, I am not flaming anyone, I am stating the
facts as I observed them.
I'm not opposed to iPhones.
Here's another interesting thing.  She could not activate her phone by
herself.  She could have been doing something wrong, she simply doesn't
know.  She connected her phone to her PC which was running iTunes 8.2
for Windows.  iTunes found the hone and asked for her phone number and
her billing zip code.  Then she clicked a continue button.  She was then
placed in a license agreement screen.  She clicked an I agree button.
She then got a screen stating that her request was being processed and
that it might take up to three minutes.  Three hours later, that same
screen was showing.  We eventually took the phone to an AT&T store, and
the employee activated it in about two minutes.  For the life of me, I
don't know what we were doing wrong.