[macvoiceover] Re: Iphone: entering numbers while on a call

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:21:32 -0500 (CDT)

I don't think ad call or hold will work because you aren't trying to go on hold or add a call; you are trying to answer an automated system on the present call.

I've been experimenting with this. Here is the problem:

The keypad button does not show if you are holding the phone up to your face. But if you hold it out flat and away from you, and speaker mode kicks in, the keypad button is there but you will have trouble hearing voiceover.

Here are the solutions that work for me:

(1) Use your headset when making a call you know will require keypad responses during the call or make sure you don't tilt it up to your face. The phone position won't matter if you have the headset on.

2. When you dial a number with the keypad or hit a contact or use voice control to request a number, if voiceover speaks while placing the call (it usually does) take that opportunity to turn up the volume while voiceover is speaking so the voiceover volume will be as high as possible. You may have to get voiceover to talk during the call in some way if you really need the volume for voiceover to be higher. Remember that unless voiceover is talking, it will not be the voiceover volume that is increased but rather the volume of your call.

3. The keypad button may be further up on the phone than you are thinking. It is quite a bit further up than the row with the ad call and other such buttons though this actually is only one row further up. I believe there are three buttons on this row: mute on the left, keypad is next, and speaker on the right. Again, if you are not using the headset and have the phone tilted toward your face, you won't find these buttons at all.

I am not yet fast enough to find the keypad and enter for instance my bank account number and pin for the bank; fortunately I can do this by voice at least at home. I am fast enough now to do responses that require one keypress: for instance, after entering my account number and pin, I can then make other choices with my bank using the keypad.

Hth.

--
Cheryl