[macvoiceover] Re: Introduction

  • From: Josh de Lioncourt <overlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 16:39:33 -0800

Hi There, and welcome to the list.

Here's a few points you might want to consider.

It is a common myth that because VoiceOver doesn't have scripting like Jaws or Window-Eyes, that you're out of luck. This is flatly untrue, because the operating system itself provides these tools, so you do have access to many of the same or similar tools as JFW or WE. In many areas, the Mac's Automator and Applescripting capabilities outstrip Jaws scripting, in fact, because you can dig deeper into the OS and the applications.

Second, you'll find that, the longer you use the Mac, that there is much less need for such customizations than there is under Windows, because applications have a much higher ratio of accessible to inaccessible. The tools to make applications more accessible are in the hands of the applications designers, and Apple has demonstrated that it is a much better, more reliable, and more productive paradigm. A vast number of third-party developers are aware of and actively working to improve, access to their products.

Hope this helps. :)

Josh de Lioncourt

...my other mail provider is an owl...

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Bram Duvigneau wrote:

Hi all,

First of all, I'm not a native speaker of English so I'm sorry for all spelling and grammar errors I'll make. If you see some strange language in my mails, feel free to correct me off-list, thanks.

I just sent my first reply to the list and I think it's time to introduce myself.

I'm Bram Duvigneau, studying computer sciences at Arnhem university, the Netherlands. I've my own company for two years now and with it I'm doing all sorts of IT services for small companies.

Currently I'm graduating at a company which develops websites and web applications. I worked with macs of fellow students before, just for fun and to co-operate on something. It was amazing to just plug in my braille display and start working. Now I'm having a mac myself, borrowed it from a friend and I'm considering buying a macbook before the summer, I still have student discount till that time. The company where I'm graduating now is working with Macs only. I currently bring in my own laptop with Windows XP, because I want to be as productive as I can and there aren't any free macs left at the company at the moment.

Well, so why is OS X not my primary operating system?
- I like to have control over things, in Windows with Jaws/Wineyes scripting I can do what I want, in Linux with Orca it's the same. But when an app doesn't work on the mac, you're stuck. - I'm still checking out which apps I can use on the mac for all my daily activities which range from web browsing and email to developing software and everything in between.

Also, I'm still asking myself: "Why should I switch?" What are advantages of a mac both in terms of accessibility and general things that apply to all switchers?

Bram