[macvoiceover] Installing programs

Hi group,
I feel really silly asking this, but I can't figure out how to install programs
correctly.
I copied the file from the "Downloads" folder into the "Applications" folder.
Then I ran the installer file. It put an icon on my desktop but it contains an
installer package. What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Blessings,
Nicole>