[macvoiceover] Re: I'm deaf-blind, can I use a mac?

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:30:50 -0600

Yes, Mac support a wide range of modern USB based braille displays that will show everything that VoiceOver is speaking along with giving you feedback on cursor position and other such information. I use a Freedom Scientific Focus 20 display. There is a list of the supported displays at the end of this message.

You can do all the conventional tasks such as email, web browsing and chatting with the built in Macintosh application (mail, Safari, and iChat) as well as system function. Braille display's require no drivers or additional software to work just plug them in and they will start working.

Braille manuals are sold by Apple at about $30 here is a link to apple's VoiceOver page with more information. http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/

Alva BC 640
Alva 544 Satellite
Alva 544 Satellite Traveller
Alva 570 Satellite Pro
Alva 584 Satellite Pro

Baum PocketVario 24
Baum SuperVario 32
Baum SuperVario 40
Baum SuperVario 64
Baum SuperVario 80
Baum VarioConnect 24
Baum VarioConnect 32
Baum VarioConnect 40

Freedom Scientific Focus 40
Freedom Scientific Focus 80
Freedom Scientific PAC Mate 20
Freedom Scientific PAC Mate 40
Freedom Scientific PAC Mate BX420 (display only)
Freedom Scientific PAC Mate BX440 (display only)
Freedom Scientific PAC Mate QX420 (display only)
Freedom Scientific PAC Mate QX440 (display only)

Humanware BrailleConnect 24
Humanware BrailleConnect 32
Humanware BrailleConnect 40
Humanware Brailliant 24
Humanware Brailliant 32
Humanware Brailliant 40
Humanware Brailliant 64
Humanware Brailliant 80

Optelec Voyager 44

GW Micro BrailleSense

GW Micro SyncBraille 20

GW Micro SyncBraille 32

HandyTech Easy Braille

HandyTech Braille Star 40

HandyTech Braille Star 80

HIMS BrailleSense

HIMS SyncBraille 20

HIMS SyncBraille 32

Nippon Telesoft Seika Version 3

Papenmeier Braillex Trio

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Apr 17, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Sara wrote:
Hi everybody. I am deaf-blind [hard of hearing with no sight] and I currently use a Windows computer. Is it possible to use a Mac with a braille display as well as speech? How much of the Mac is accessible? Can it read email, surf the net, record audio, use Skype and the Mac version of MSN Messenger? I currently use Windows with two different screen-readers but I love technology so I am getting quite interested in the Mac. Also, I know people who use Macs and they all say they love their Macs to bits so I want to know what all the fuss is about. smile
Thanks and I look forward to emailing with you all.
Sincerely,
Sara