[macvoiceover] Re: Hello new list members!

  • From: "Ron J." <Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:00:46 -0500

Sara,

Well, I think Apple finally dropped all the weird colors, because, I suspect, that could only sell for so long, and they really do want to be taken as a "serious" contender in the computing-world. The newer Macs have clean lines, a simple design, are elegant, futuristic, and more in-step with the 21st century.

As to accessible apps; Well, like anything else, it's a crap-shoot. Some are very accessible, some are so-so, some are totally unusable by us blind folk! That said, there is a great resource you can take advantage of, for finding out what will work for you. It's called the VoiceOver Compatibility List. It tells you what the app is, who developed it, gives you a "VoiceOver Score" (1 being least-accessible, 3 being right in the middle, and 5 being fully VoiceOver compliant), some notes & tips on the app, the ability to cast your own vote for the app, and even a way to add ones you find! You can check it out at the following link: http://w3.wmcnet.org/vo/index.php?page=6&product_type=System%20and%20Disk%20Utilities .

Also, you can check out http://www.versiontracker.com/. You can search for programs there, and who knows, you might just stumble onto something which works well with VO, which none of us knows about, yet, but might be interested in!

If you find something useful, but it isn't fully accessible, by all means, write the developer! Let them know they've done a great job, so far, with the accessibility which is present in the app. Then, tell them what the app does well, but what could use fixing, accessibility-wise, and possible suggestions for how they might improve accessibility. In some cases, the developer will be completely unresponsive to your needs, but most times, they will be quite responsive, and you will get some satisfaction! Case in point: Adium X. This app is virtually 100% accessible now, thanks to eMails from a number of us on this very list!

If you have any accessibility issues with OS X, or it's bundled apps, etc, write to accessibility@xxxxxxxxxx In my experience, they've always responded back to me, in a timely fashion, and have been quite helpful! I eMailed them about a couple of things: 1. my 1GB iPod Shuffle not showing all the pertinent information in iTunes. 2. The "Smart Playlist Creator" in iTunes being inaccessible. In both cases, I had a message back, the next day, telling me they had noted the problem, verified that it was a problem, and forwarded it off to the engineers for further investigation. The fixes came in relatively short order!

As to the tactile display you speak of, don't know, exactly, what you're referring to, but I suspect it might have something to do with a Braille display.

HTH?

Take Care!

Ron

On Apr 23, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Sara wrote:

Oh, I was sort of hoping for "weird colours" as I am weird to go with them. lol
Oh well, my Dell windows laptop is red, so that's weird enough. lol
Yeah, about apps being accessible with voiceover. Do you find a lot of apps aren't accessible or you can only partly use them? I find that a lot with Windows apps. I'll upgrade to a new version and boom! no talky! lol I really want to use garage band. I know there's some info on www.icanworkthisthing.com but I would like more info on it. The site mentions a tactile interface but doesn't go into detail about what that means; I'm thinking braille display? I am hopefully going to look at macs today. I probably won't have a lot of time there, but oh well.
Sara
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron J." <Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>