[macvoiceover] Re: Hello new list members!

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:52:11 -0400

On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Sara wrote:

Hey there Brian. Your name sounds really familiar. I think I probably know you from another tech-related list or maybe even tech support or something?

Hey, I think that he sounds kinda familiar too for some reason. Can't figure where I know him from, though. Maybe a subway or something. But anyway, he writes:

Greetings. There are a few of us Canadians on here. I have to say I really like my mac and the screen reader is not at all difficult to use. It takes some work to forget some of the windows concepts which try creaping in when learning but once one gets used to the interface, it is quite nice. I still don't find navigating web pages with the mac as easy as windows. I find myself missing the keys for headings, tables form fields etc. According to a podcast I listened to, there are such keys with vo but I can't find them in the vo help.

Oh, they're there, all right. Check the VO keys list. Many of them are ctrl/option/cmd something, and there are a helluva lot of them, many of which I don't actually use. option/tab is very useful, as it moves you to the next control on a web page, for instance. Also ctrl-option- cmd-h will move you to the next header, with shift moves to the previous one. Cmd-option-shift-u will tell you the destination of a link (usually). Those are the ones I use most often, but there are a whole pile more.

Anyway, most of us are willing to help with this stuff when you are learning. Buddy put up with a lot of questions from me when i was getting started.

And believe me, he's a helluva guy to have to put up with. :-)