[macvoiceover] Re: GMail imap account in Apple Mail

  • From: Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:50:50 -0600

Hi Ignasi, David, & all,

Perfect guys! As usual, worked like a charm! I'm subscribed to the iPhone list, and haven't been checking my gmail account since getting my iMac last Wednesday, and now have over 300 messages to wade through! <grin>

Thanks again,

Russell
On 10-Aug-09, at 8:58 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

For gmail accounts, just go to the file menu in mail, and find something like set up new account. It will ask you for your email, your password, and tell you that it can set up the account automatically. Your mac already knows everything it needs to know to connect you to gmail, so just let it do its thing. You don't need to configure anything. Just make sure that you have pop enabled on your account. If you specifically want imap, then yes, you need to configure the account manually, which I did for my gmail account. It worked well. Basically leave everything as it is, with your imap server being imap.gmail.com and ssl on. Your smtp should be smtp.gmail.com, and you need to activate authentication and also ssl.
Hope it helps,

Ignasi
On Aug 10, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi everyone,

I tried to set up my GMail account in Apple Mail, but it's not getting mail. I followed the steps on the Google site as closely as possible, as it seems that Apple Mail may have changed a bit since they put up those steps. They are talking about configuring Apple Mail 3.0 and I think we are using 3.5 or something.

IMAP is set in my GMail settings on the web. Has anyone had any luck setting this up? If so, any tips or thins to chec?

Thanks,

Russell