[macvoiceover] Re: Copying text from mail

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:00:28 -0600

On Feb 4, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

I'm very curious why you think the preview pane is a pain? It works beautifully for me. As you move through the messages in your mailbox, press VO-J to jump directly to the pane and VO reads the contents automatically, and you can move through the message with VO- arrows. Pressing VO-J returns you to the message. There is nothing difficult or tricky about it. What puts you off from using it? COnstantly opening and closing windows seems more troublesome to me.

I don't like the preview pain either, and the reason is because when the preview pain is on, it marks all your messages as read when you highlight them. This (at least to me) is a major no-no. Keeping my inbox clean is a tough enough job without pieces of software changing message statuses without telling me. I use the read/unread status to let me know which messages I've skipped in order to get to more important emails. Threading helps, but it's not enough in most cases. If an email is showing as read, and it's still in my inbox, it's because I thought it was important enough to leave it there for future reference. If I was using the preview pain, it would mark all of my emails as read, whether they actually were read or not, and that would cost me many hours of lost time trying to sort out what really was read, and what really wasn't. Too much trouble, so I just turn the pain off, then there's no more pain for me, and I don't have to deal with such nonsense.

Btw, vo doesn't make the distinction, but I spelled pane p a i n for the entire length of the email, a subtle (too subtle for vo users) play on words to indicate my displeasure with such an arrangement.
(it works better if you don't have to explain it)
Just wanted sighted folks to know I didn't misspell it though. :-)