[macvoiceover] Re: Copying text from mail

  • From: Keith Reedy <wa9dro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:01:41 -0500

One of the great things about using a MAC, is, that, you can do it the way you want to do it and it just works.

Keith Reedy

On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:50 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

Josh,

I don't use the right shift because my right hand is often on another task like holding a phone or reading a note in braille etc. It's just a different way of doing things I guess but I try to optimize my hands.

On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

Hi David,

Just curious...it doesn't make much difference, but wondering why you don't use the right shift key for a shift-tab?

In any event, I personally find having to open and close windows a more cluttered interface, so as I said before, it is all about personal preference. I think it is important, particularly in a forum like that which is intended primarily to help newcomers to the Mac and enlighten those of us who have been here for a while, to give people as many options as possible and not discourage them from others, just because they don't work for us personally.

Another example is that I have frequently recommended Adium to others, even though I personally don't particularly care for the program. Others do, and that's fine. Educate people about their options.

Josh de Lioncourt
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt

"Beauty was a savage garden, so why should it wound him that the most despairing music is full of beauty?"
        The Vampire Lestat--Anne Rice

On Feb 4, 2009, at 12:24 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

yes, tab and shift tab move back and forth but I move forth. I can not effectively use shift tab with my left hand. the reason that thechild window designation makes a difference is that unlike windows, you do not have another application window to jump to get to an app you have opened. also, you can move in mail from window to window, have several messages open so that you can read and copy between them if you like and yes, the main window is there too.

There are a bunch of ways and reasons for doing things on the Mac. I find it useful to have a streamlined and uncluttered interface if possible.