[macvoiceover] Connecting a 5.1 sound system to a Mac pro

  • From: "Robin Kipp" <robin.kipp@xxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 22:40:26 +0200

Hi all!
OK, I've just ordered my Mac pro!
However, I've got a problem now, and I'm not sure how to solve it. I
hope this is not too much off-topic, but as it has to do with audio, and
because I couldn't find any useful answer to this - even Apple support
could not help me - I hope the moderators won't mind.
So, the Mac comes with a built in sound card of course, but this only
has one line-out and line-in 3.5 mm jack. However, the speaker system
that I have is a 5.1 dolby soround system with I think 6 cables that
have to be plugged in so all channels can be controlled. I really can't
think of any way I could connect all of them to the 2 jacks the Mac pro
comes with, so I decided to look for a PCI Express sound card. Creative
has some good ones, such as the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme.
However, all of them seem to be only compatible with Windows, there is
nothing that indicates they work with Mac os and I don't like buying
stuff that maybe won't work. I've done some Googling on Mac compatible
sound cards, but haven't been able to find anything... Does anyone have
any ideas on what I could do, or can anyone suggest a sound card that
will work without any problems under Mac os? Thanks!
Robin