[macvoiceover] Re: Bragging/Blue Tooth Update

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:38:18 -0400

Hi,

I just talked to an AppleCare guy who told me to power cycle the computer. When it came back up, there was no mention of Blue Tooth so I went ahead with other tasks and everything seems good except that I've no idea whether the BT got updated or not. I suppose I couldlook in the system settings under BT but I really don't want to waste any time today as I need to prepare for two conferences next week and really don't feel like fuc*ing around with things that may cause me additional hassle.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

On Oct 24, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Sam Troia wrote:

Hey, Chris,

When I first got my mini at the end of August which was running Leopard back then, I did updates and after restarting got the bluetooth install dialog as you have. So I chose to continue and kept checking it periodically through the night but it never seemed to change or do anything. So the next morning I held the power button and shut down which they had advised against, but it was obvious that nothing was happening. When the computer rebooted, that setup dialog was still there and I had to put in my password, but when I did and then tried to proceed through the rest of the dialog, I lost speech altogether. I then packed up the mini and went to the store which, fortunately for me, is just a few steps down the block. There they were very nice and took care of the problem for me. I'm not sure had I persisted if I could have solved the problem on my own, but at the time I was brand new to the Mac and didn't want to endure any more frustration and uncertainty about what was going on.

On Oct 24, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

I got a brandy new MacBook Pro 13 at our local Apple store. It's got 4 gb of RAM and is smoking fast. I needed one with a multi- touch trackpad for my presentation at ACB in Baltimore next week. So, I'm bragging as this little guy is really hot and the coolest computer I've ever owned.

After doing the typical installation stuff, though, I got the software update dialogue and said "yes" to doing all of it. The general software updated quickly but then came an Update Blue Tooth dialogue and I said to continue to do the install. The dialogue says that it will take a long time but I think it's been there for an hour or longer and nothing has changed. What have other people experienced with this process, does it take a really huge amount of time?

Happy Happy,
cdh