[macvoiceover] Barcode Experiment, Announcing BarcodeTalk

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvisionaries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:45:51 -0700

Following up on the work done here with barcode scanning I offer BarcodeTalk

BarcodeTalk is a simple MacOS Application that takes a UPC barcode from and item and looks that item up in a database and then speaks the item's description.

The application is self-contained needing no internet connection to work. The database has just under 2 million items in it.

Work Needed: A means of updating the database over the net as well as a way to add your own items.

Here is the URL: http://www.cucat.org/projects/barcodetalk/

Application and source code can be downloaded. I tried this with a trigger style USB barcode reader and it worked fine. The program opens with the text insertion point in the barcode text field. I'm sure other can improve on this. For example the lookup could be made much faster by storing the data in CoreData and not in a CSV file in the application.

One could apply this basic idea to any number of applications where the blind need to identify items that can be barcoded.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022