[macvoiceover] BOINC is accessible!

  • From: Robin Kipp <robin.kipp@xxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:59:53 +0100

Hi all!
I'm posting this message to let you guys know the BOINC program (www.boinc.org)
has been made accessible. First of all though, let me just tell you briefly
what BOINC is:

BOINC is a client for distributed computing, especially for scientific
purposes. When the client application is installed, users can subscribe to
scientific projects, e.g. genetec research, SETI airospace investigations and
so on. The computer then downloads tasks from the project servers and then
performs various calculations in order to solve the given task. In order to
accomplish this, only idle CPU performance is used - so no loss of performance
that can be noticed by the user.
Think about this client as a kind of podcatcher like iTunes: you subscribe to a
certain feed (project), but instead of podcasts, the program downloads tasks
for the computer to run when idle. The significance of distributed computing is
really big, as not all institutions have sufficient amounts of computers it
takes to research or calculate something. There are other projects where the
user can basically take advantage of the results right away: for example, there
are projects which calculate prime numbers, which can then be downloaded. Also,
there is a project aiming at decrypting old Enigma messages that have never
been decivered. Distributed computing, therefore, is being used in a quite
broad area and should not just be ignored.
Now, BOINC, which is the most important distributed computing client, has been
made Voice Over accessible only a few months after I made a request to the
developers and asked them to maybe modify the GUI in a way that it becomes
accessible. Today, I received an e-mail from a developer, telling me he had
made the whole thing accessible. The newest version of BOINC, which can be
found at www.boinc.org, now works with VO without any great issues. I had tried
the previous BOINC version, which was totally inaccessible - VO could not even
read a bit of the main window. Guys, I think this is a full success on the
accessibility front and I encurrage you all to look at this wonderful program!
There is a list of most BOINC projects on the website, so you can choose any of
them and subscribe. If you find anything that isn't accessible or tjhat you
want changed just post a message here, as I am still working with the developer
who did this wonderful job!
Have fun!
Robin>