[macvoiceover] Re: Airport Express

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:52:21 -0400

As I understand it, the audio that results from itunes video is transmitted differently and I believe also from my reading in a format tha cannot be transmitted through airtunes. I have not tried it with snow leopard.

On Sep 4, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

While this makes no real sense to me, I'll accept your more experienced opinion and shut up on the matter. I have a handful of other sound bridge devices that do work but I wanted to do an article on Apple soup to nuts for home entertainment.

cdh
On Sep 3, 2009, at 11:08 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

I'm saying that the channels are not there.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

The Airport Express is a relatively "dumb" piece of hardware. The sound transformations are done by iTunes (a very smart application) which turns all sound into unpacked wave data and sends the wave off to either the local computer hardware or to an Airport or some other sound bridge device. The Airport Express shouldn't know what sort of data it is receiving but, rather, it should just play it as a wave is a wave is a wave.

Maybe SurroundSound decoding causes a problem for it? It shouldn't but Dolby has been known to make a mess now and then with hardware that isn't expecting it but, for the most part, Dolby encoding is easily ignored.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:42 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

because it is not built for it.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:34 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

That was my assumption so does anyone else have an idea why I can't get movie audio through my Airport?
On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:17 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

it appears you have the latest firmware.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

When I first asked about the Airport Express it was in the context of using it as a audio bridge while watching movies downloaded from iTunes. Someone posted that updating the firmware makes this possible. Following David's instructions, I went to the Airport Utility, selected my AE, typed in the password and found the Update button to be greyed and I'm still not getting movie sound from my iMac (I haven't put SL on there yet but I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest iTunes).

Any ideas?

Happy Hacking,
cdh
On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:29 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

Open airport utility, select your ae, click the manual button and click the update button unless it is dimmed in which case, the firmware is already updated.

On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

A while back someone posted instructions on updating the firmware on the Airport Express. I managed to lose the email so if someone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Note: I'm only using the Express as a music bridge so the rest of the WiFi network seems to ignore it.

cdh