[macvoiceover] Re: Adding Items tothe Dock

  • From: Pete Nalda <lpnalda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:25:07 -0500

Good description Ray!  Would like to add that the Dock is spelled dock and not
doc, even though to VoiceOver it sounds the same.
I'll also further add a little history of how it came to be for the fun of it.
The dock was created in Next OS (Steve Jobs' *other* os), so that people could
have a place to anchor commonly used applications, folders, and files to a
specific area of the desktop.  When Steve Jobs came back to Apple, the dock
came with him.

On Jul 21, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Ray Foret Jr wrote:

> The Doc is a kind of hybrid between what you would call a desk top, a
> launching tool bar and task bar all kind of rolled in to one.  Actually,
> under normal conditions, this can be found at the bottom of the screen.  YOu
> get to it either by pressing control+F2 or by pressing VO+D.  The Control+F2
> is the standard Mac command for accessing the doc, and, in the case where you
> have only one control key on the left side of the keyboard, (as in my case)
> the standard Mac command is actually a much better choice than VO+d.  You can
> add your most frequently used programs to the doc; and thus, avoid having to
> go in to the Applications folder each time you want to run a program.  IF it
> helps, think of the Applications folder as a kind of "All programs" folder
> with which you are familiar.  HTH.
>

> Sincerely,
> The Constantly Barefooted Ray!!!
>
> E-Mail:
> rforetjr at comcast dot net
> Skype Name:
> barefootedray
>
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Timothy Clark wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get to know these terms before I get my mac. What is the doc?
>>
>> On 7/21/10, Suzanne Erb <suzerb1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Thanks, Ron.  That makes so much sense, and is so simple.
>>> Have  great day!
>>> Suzanne

>> --
>> Timothy Clark, WTCN Owner and Maniger
>> http://wtcnradio.podzone.net

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Pete Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda