[mac4theblind] Re: from windows to mac.

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:27:37 -0500

I don't mean to be prickly or want to take issue with you, but Mac can be a lot
like windows.  Having used windows for over 10 years helped me when I was
learning the mac because I knew things as a result of that experience that I
see many new mac users who didn't come from windows don't know and had to learn
from scratch.  The biggest differences for us between mac and windows are in
the screen reader interface.

When I began working on the mac back in 04, I had several tasks that I knew I
needed to perform that were directly related to my windows experience so I
found out how to perform those tasks on the mac.  For the windows lovers among
us vo users, Apple have even introduced some windows like commands and settings
so don't throw away windows just yet, throw away your windows screen reader
perhaps.

On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:56 PM, dogstar172 wrote:

Hi there,
    I want to direct this to the  folks who have taken that very big step from
windows into the mac world.  Congradulations!  You have just walked into a
brave new experience with mac.
Mac is not like windows.  Mac is not bad or good.  mac is just different.
Try to take mac as it comes and just ride the wave.  Allow yourself to put
windows on a back burner some place and I think that will make it easier.
I have only been using Mac since late July of this year.  I love mac.  It
rocks.
I don't know how to do everything on this thing yet, but I am making good
progress in the applications I use.
Its all good and when you can't figure out any thing else, folks on this list
are really open to help you through the bumps along the way.
That's all I wanted to say to the windows to mac crowd.
happy mac ing.

with his
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
reducing technology's disabilities