[mac4theblind] Re: Using an ipad

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:15:14 -0400

you have 14 days to return it.

On Aug 25, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Eric SS wrote:

Ben, I have been using a Touch for a year and now an IPhone the past six
months, so a total of a year and a half.

Trust me, you get used to the swiping and other motions fairly quickly.
There are only a half dozen or so, so far fewer to remember than the 101
keys on a keyboard. You learn fairly quickly too that applications
(programs) are laid out in very similar ways, so that the escape or affirm
are generally at the top and menu commands at the bottom no matter if you
are doing a mapping program or music. Also, there are thousands and
thousands of apps out there that are mostly free, but can cost up to $20,
but that is still hundreds less than many programs you would pay for Windows
equivalents.

I am mostly an information consumer. I read my NFB news papers and web
sites, plus dozens of news feeds in RSS. I use it a lot for radio stations
and some for podcasts. I send and receive quite a few text messages everyday
and post and check Facebook and Twitter news. My life is on there, i.e., my
contacts and calendar.

The one place I still have trouble is inputting. I have a couple of
keyboards ranging from standard desktop size to a credit card size bluetooth
device and I use the on-screen keyboard. I just recently picked up a screen
protector with some dots on it, such as at the location of the F and J keys
when you have a keyboard on screen. They have a version of that with dots on
every key on the keyboard, but I felt that may be overkill.

Entering text is not the whole problem, but editing is a bit touchy, even
for sighted folks. You can move through text by letter, word, line, header,
etc., but for instance you cannot cut a word or so out of an E-mail and
paste it into a text message. I am not sure I would feel confident using
this for a note taker for classes, etc., but then again if I had to use it
and got used to it all these things may seem insignificant.

I really feel if you are going to carry a device for your calendar and for
reading and to make calls, why bother with three separate pieces and just
have one. I have told people this way: there are Swiss Army knives that can
do many things and for most people nothing more is needed. Unless you are
going to build a house, and then you need more durable and specialized
tools. I am not a carpenter in my daily life, so I choose to carry one
knife.

I hope this helps some. I don't think you would regret the decision. I might
advise if you are unsure you can find used Touch or Phones. They would work
fine with just WIFI. The camera on the phone and new touch can be quite
useful, though, so if I had my choice I would definitely at least get
something with a camera.

The best!

Eric