[mac4theblind] Re: Using an ipad

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 15:59:40 -0400

I've been using ios since it first came out with voiceover and the overlays
became available long after I started using it so I never saw the need for it.
I suggest you listen to podcasts and read the user guide to familiarize your
self with exactly how it works.

It is not at all like reading braille, but you can use a refreshable braille
display bia bluetooth.  I use a brailliant 24 with it, but again, you will want
to read up on it.

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Benjamin Blatter wrote:

Hi to all

Today, I went to an apple store and held an ipad in my hands for the first
time. Amazing, it's much thinner than I thought. The guy there activated
voice over.

However I found it rather difficult to do things with all this touching and
wiping. Most of all locating some things on the plain glass screen. And some
funny things happened like the ipod suddenly playing music ...

Maybe I was shy or it was just an unlucky start for me. but anyway, I'm
wondering if you guys are really using an ipad or ipod touch for your daily
life? I read somewhere about a company which makes some tactile overlays for
blind people. Are you using something like that or are you really just
getting fine by figure out and memorizing all the spots on the glass screen?

I'm actually looking for a portable organizer. So I thought an ipad might be
an interesting solution since you could look at your appointmens sort of
like reading them in braille ... Do you guys organize your things this way?

And is there a certain braille display you would reccommend to use with
these devices?

Kind regards
Ben

with his