[mac4theblind] Re: Using an ipad

     To be honest, you can't really make an assessment in one sitting as far as
an iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch.  The whole touch interface is something that
takes a little getting used to.  It's actually far easier and intuitive than
one might think.

    I use an iPad daily, and it's just a fantastic device.  There really is not
a matter of finding things specifically on the screen.  I don't really know why
anyone would use any tactile overlays.  To me, personally, that would just be
confusing.  The screen is effected by what you have open or what you are doing.
 You need only slide a finger across and up and down the screen to get a visual
representation of what is being shown.  Additionally, there are certain formats
or patterns that you will get used to, like looking at the Settings categories
and examining the individual options.

    I don't use a Braille display with my iPad, so I can't really speak with
any knowledge on this.  However, I know you can connect one via the bluetooth
feature.  I might try this with my BrailleNote at some point, but for me, it
hasn't been something I've found myself needing to do.

     Overall, though, I would certainly consider the iPad an option for you.
Again, don't let that initial reaction cloud your decision.

Take Care

John D. Panarese
Director
Mac for the Blind