[mac4theblind] Re: Itunes for beginner

  • From: John Panarese <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 19:18:44 -0400

     Do you have it set so iTunes organizes your library?  You should import
everything into iTunes so that the library is then populated in some fashion.
Unfortunately, you will have to manually fix any errors with importing.
Sometimes, there is information that is missing.  Usually, though, when you
import a CD, go to the CD track list, which shows up as a play list and and
with a track selected from the album, do a command-i for the info before you
rip it.  This will give you an indication of how iTunes will import the tracks
as far as album artist, album name, etc.

    By  and large, things are pretty predictable once you have your library
organized.  Sometimes, an album with multiple artists might be considered a
"compilation" and this is when tracks might get scattered or the album folder
will be found in the compilations folder.

    To get an idea of how your library is currently organized or "looks" do so
in Finder.  It will give you a very complete idea of how iTunes is arranging
your material.  Open up Music, then iTunes and then iTunes music.  YOu will
then find artists in alphabetical order and expanding the artist folder will
show you the albums.  If an album can't be identified by iTunes, you'll find a
folder called, unknown.  This is where using the info dialog in iTunes to
manually correct errors is helpful.

      As for iTunes not starting when you connect your iPod, that is something
I don't have an explanation for off the top of my head.  When in doubt, search
the Apple support pages or a general Google search.  Often, explanations and
suggestions for fixes can be found.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT