Re: luajit and iOS

  • From: malkia <malkia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 19:05:19 -0700

On Sep 4, 2012 7:04 PM, "malkia" <malkia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2012 6:58 PM, "Fjölnir Ásgeirsson" <fjolnir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > It is possible on a jailbroken device (in fact, when I had gdb
connected to my app running on a non-jailbroken device, it worked; but of
course when the device was not connected, it crashed). So no, this is not a
hardware limitation at all.

> > But the interpreter is plenty fast; even on a phone. We just released a
game project on the app store using it and never had to even think about
optimization.

> > – Fjölnir
> >
> > On Sep 5, 2012, at 09:58 , Tom Yaxley <tommitytom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I posted this on the lua mailing list and it was recommended that I
> > > post here instead:
> > >
> > > I'm aware that luajit can only be interpreted on iOS, but I was
> > > curious if this is a physical limitation of iDevices, or just a
> > > software limitation?  For instance, could the jit compiler be used on
> > > a jailbroken iDevice?  Secondly, is it possible o compile the jit code
> > > somehow so it can be loaded on an iDevice?  Since then it wouldn't
> > > have to do any generation at runtime (or maybe it would, I'm not sure
> > > of the exact internals of luajit :)  Cheers!
> > >

> Then again FFI issomewhat slower in interpretter mode than the normal lua
binding, but nonetheless much more simpler.

Which game, would love to see it :)