[ANN] GSL Shell 2.2.0 beta1 release

  • From: Francesco Abbate <francesco.bbt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:12:41 +0200

Hi,

I'm glad to announce to the LuaJIT people the first beta release of
GSL Shell 2.2.0.

For those who don't already know GSL Shell, this latter is a software
based on LuaJIT2 and on the GSL library to offer the power of the Lua
programming language and a wide set of algorithms from the GSL
library. In addition GSL Shell offer a graphical system to plot
functions or data.

The home of GSL Shell is here: http://www.nongnu.org/gsl-shell/

and the git repository is hosted at github: https://github.com/franko/gsl-shell

With this new release I'm introducing for the first time a Graphical
User Interface based on the FOX library on both Windows and Linux.
This can greatly improve the utilization of GSL Shell on Windows and
open the way to more interactive functions with Lua and the graphical
windows.

GSL Shell can be used also like a more friendly LuaJIT2 console since
it does offer some facilities to improve interactive editing on the
console.

For the moment the GUI is quite limited having only line history and
no tab completion but all the important functions are already there to
be used. Please test and give me some feedback :-)

The graphical engine have been also improved with a very high quality
font rendering system based on AGG and on the FreeType library. In
addition subpixel rendering is used for all the graphics, not only
text, to bring a even better quality for all kind of graphics.

With this release the OpenBLAS library is also used instead of the GSL
CBLAS reference implementation. OpenBLAS is an highly optimized
library for basic matrix or vector operations of FP numbers. It is
based on the GotoBLAS library and automatically choose its core to
adapt to your CPU and the number of cores but for the moment only x86
system are supported on Windows.

In addition there is also a new integrated help system using the
"help" function. With this release it does cover only GSL specific
functions but it could be extended to all the Lua functions.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback either in term of build from
source and from the user point of view.

Bye
Francesco