Re: FYI: No JIT on Windows 8 for ARM

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1205@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:20:54 +0200

Semi Essessi wrote:
> I think the OP is overreacting. From what I know there is at least one way
> around this - the DDK allows creation of executable memory, and from what I
> understand that is quite important for various types of drivers and not
> likely to be removed for ARM.

The bootloader on Windows 8 for ARM is locked down. Good luck
injecting a driver you wrote yourself.

> The other issue with this assessment that I have is that the API is
> constantly changing, poorly documented and huge, so I'm going to be
> skeptical if anyone says "there is nothing in the API to allow X".

Now that's easy: please come forward with the name of the API
function that allows you to turn some piece of data into
executable code with the WinRT API.

But you will find no such function. This is fully intentional from
Microsoft. The fact that you make games for Microsoft's ecosystem
and that you absolutely seem to love Microsoft's Visual Studio (as
seen from a vanity search) shouldn't cloud your vision, I hope.

[Oh, and please don't dig out the security hole that Mozilla
discovered and Microsoft quickly denied them to use.]