[liure] [pdfernhout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [Open Manufacturing] Open Source Washing Machine Project]

  • From: cristian paul peñaranda rojas <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liure@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:56:27 -0500

----- Forwarded message from "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernhout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-----

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:37:40 -0400
From: "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernhout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Open Manufacturing <openmanufacturing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Open Manufacturing] Open Source Washing Machine Project

"Open Source Washing Machine Project: A Bricolabs project to rethink
the way to wash clothes around the world"
http://www.oswash.org/
"""
The open source washing machine project aims to rethink the way we
wash clothes around the world, in accordance with economical,
sociological, cultural and environemental aspects. Most of the people
in this planet, mostly women, wash clothes by hand in harsh conditions
related to poverty, lack of  sanitation, water or energy.
  The project  is born in spring 2008 during an Open Source Hardware
workshop for artists in Craslab Paris : the Freeduino board is a
low-cost Open Source Hardware environnement created to replace system
managers for sensors, actuators or data acquisition in many  devices.
This electronic board is mostly used by artists, designers,
architects…
  We were talking about the features of the Freeduino  ” for example,
a 12 $ freeduino could replace the programmer in any washing machine,
because it can manage the keyboard of the washing machine, it can
manage the heat and pressure sensors of the machine, and it can manage
all the hardware like heater, pumps or valves, and you could programm
your washing cycles by yourself“.
"""

What's especially interesting to me about it is that I saw the
reference in FastCompany magazine, which somehow suggests something
about how far an awareness of open manufacturing ideas are spreading
into the more mainstream:
"Open Source Washing Machine Project Rethinks Clothes-Washing"
http://www.fastcompany.com/1589728/open-source-washing-machine-project-rethinks-clothes-washing?partner=rss

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pdfernhout.net/
====
The biggest challenge of the 21st century is the irony of technologies
of abundance in the hands of those thinking in terms of scarcity.

----- End forwarded message -----