[lit-ideas] Re: when cultures clash....

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:21:35 -0400

I was travelling in Turkey once with a younger freind and I remember her attracting a young man in the bazaar in Istanbul. He offered her some number of sheep and goats if she would tell him whether or not she dyed her hair (which was raven black). She was vaguely flattered, I think, but divulged nothing.
US in North Bay

Robert Paul wrote:

JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

*<<NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- A Kenyan says he offered Bill Clinton 40 goats and 20 cows for his daughter's hand in marriage five years ago -- and is still waiting for an answer.*

Sometime during the first part of the last century, somewhere near Lapwai, Idaho, one of Chief Joseph's brothers or sons or nephews, offered so many she cows and so many he cows—the exact number has not been preserved—for my great aunt Ethel.

Whatever the number of cows, my great grandfather Williams apparently did not think it sufficient.

Robert Paul
Reed College