[lit-ideas] Re: was that a slap in the kisser?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 18:05:58 +0100

Sunday, October 2, 2005, 5:03:46 PM, Stan Spiegel wrote:

SS> Judy - Obama's statement was troubling. I expect someone who's a supreme
SS> court justice to work at evening the playing field too -- seeing that
SS> justice is done -- and that Obama saw a discrepancy between his words and
SS> his actions makes me worry even more about him. In his other writings I saw
SS> no support for civil rights, women's rights, gay rights either. I can't
SS> understand someone who can't stand bullies who would support the strong over
SS> the weak. I'm just hoping for the best.

Stan, yes.  He did help with one gay rights case, but that was his job
(he could have said no, but it would have looked bad): the person he
advised said he was very good.  But that's a one-off.  All else that I
have read about Roberts and in a sense by him (e.g. arguments he
wrote for the AG) is troubling in the extreme.  The "best" is that he
will not significantly erode current rights.

Judy

http://obama.senate.gov/press/050922-remarks_of_senator_barack_obama_on_the_confirmation_of_judge_john_roberts/index.html

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx