[lit-ideas] Re: was that a slap in the kisser?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:10:58 -0400

...and the youngest cj in 200 years or something. He could be there for forty years or more...not that I'll still be paying attention, but...
Ursula
getting older by the minute...

Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

Friends, I need your help. No doubt I missed some fundamental step in the controversial issue of Bush's Supreme Court nominee, John Roberts. As I recall, John Roberts's judicial career was rather scanty, and so Dems were sending out petitions asking fellow Dems to file a request through FOIA to let Congress and the little people see John Roberts's opinions.

Then, suddenly--or so it seems to me--John Roberts was no longer Bush's nominee as Sandra Day O'Connor's replacement, but Bush's nominee for CHIEF justice.

Am I mistaken in assuming that the chief justice is a more important and traditionally more significant role that that of a regular ol' lifetime bench-sitting Supreme Court justice? And am I mistaken in thinking that when Bush upped the ante, he was slapping Congress in the face? ("You dare question my nominees? Take THAT!")

Was this discussed anywhere? Suddenly, or so it seemed, my lefty legislative connections stopped e-mailing me about that FOIA request. Instead, John Roberts--shades of Tim Robbins' _Bob Roberts_--was voted in as chief justice of the US Supreme Court. I keep looking for commentary by pundits, but nada.

Did I miss something? Is this all a joke?
Carol,
stymied in Fresno