[lit-ideas] Re: un petit hommage à l'herbe

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:21:20 -0330

The same reason, mutatis mutandas (sp?, sorry my Spanish isn't what it used to
be), that Paul Ricoeur, Michelle Foucault and their ilk insist on adding an "h"
to their "wh" words in English. It almost drove me crazy in their seminars! If
not for the aesthetic charms of their translators, I would have dropped out.

Examples:

Paul: "I do not know hwhy Gadamer recapitulates (he means "repeats") Heidegger's
conflation of truth and meaning."

Michelle: "We remain unclear hwhy in the Alcibiades the classical Greek virtues
are (not) put into question." (Hwe hwere never clear on hwhich he meant.)

Not understanding hwhat these French people are "hearing,"

Hwalter O.

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php